UPDATED: Wow what a blow out. Madagascar 3 once again stole the show this week while newcomers failed miserably. With a solid 35 million, M3 was back on top. One wonders how well BRAVE will do next week. Meanwhile Rock of Ages came third with a dismal 15 mil and That's my Boy even worse for 13 million, one of the worst openings for a Sandler film ever.
1. "Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted," $35.5 million ($53 million international).
2. "Prometheus," $20.2 million ($25.5 million international).
3. "Rock of Ages," $15.1 million ($4.1 million international).
4. "Snow White & the Huntsman," $13.8 million.
5. "That's My Boy," $13 million.
6. "Men in Black 3," $10 million ($19.7 million international).
7. "The Avengers," $8.8 million ($3.9 million international).
8. "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel," $2.2 million.
9. "Moonrise Kingdom," $2.18 million.
10. "What to Expect When You're Expecting," $1.3 million.
Two big stars, one on a semi comeback and the other on the downward side of his career will try to dethrone the current kids champ this weekend. Tom Cruise and Rock of Ages, based on the Broadway hit has gotten very mixed reviews and little promotion. Meanwhile Adam Sandler tries yet again to prove how stupid he is with his latest That's My Boy.They both have very good theater counts but that's no guarantee people will come out and see them.